Tuesday 5 April 2011

In Australia

 
Dear Diary,
I have settled in Australia for a week now. Yes, the air is clean and the land is wide. The days are warm and dry. All of my essential belongings are with me including a picture of my family back in 1850. I was 15 years old, the youngest of 7 brothers and sisters.
On the voyage here, I was a crew member of the ship named
Cairngorm, which earned me some more money to make a living here. I think I have found a place to live, it is selling for something affordable. The address is
13 Cox’s Gardens, Williamstown, in Victoria. Victoria is the southernmost colony of the mainland of this continent. On board the Cairngorm, I met a lady named Jane Speller, a governess, who was born in Much Hadham, Hertfordshire, England.
I am missing my family, but I am used to being away from them for long periods at a time.
I am looking foward to working with new crew mates who have been living here for longer than I have. Maybe I can get some direction about how things work in this land.


Note: Governess was a private tutor who lived with the family.
James Joseph Ovenden later married Jane Speller in 1862 and had a son named George Thomas Ovenden in 1968.



Bibliography
Rose Ovenden, family historian

No comments:

Post a Comment