Tuesday 5 April 2011

Thinking of Change


Dear Diary,
I have been thinking of moving to Australia.
It seems like a risk, but it also seems worth it. Many of Britain are leaving here, and not only because they are convicts. They want to start a new life they say. I see the government promoting it, my work mates are talking about it. They are saying how warm it is, how the land is bigger and better, also they want more people to work the seas. It shouldn't be hard for me to get a job there... I could work in the Victorian Navy. If I go, I may never be able to see my family again. I know I will have a better life and start a family. There won't be child labour, I don't want my children to go through what I did. The overcrowding situation in England is getting worse; people are being forced to move out and live in the filthy slums. I think the overcrowding is due to the Irish fleeing from their potato famine. I see homeless children, some found are basically skeletons. The air here is bad, there is pollution from people burning coal, just to keep warm. There are diseases, people are dirty.
Australia is clean, it's wide, it has space, it's warm, it has fresh air... There are also people finding gold and becoming wealthy.



Bibliography
my father, Alex Ovenden

No comments:

Post a Comment