Tuesday 5 April 2011

Cotton Mills



In the early 1800s in England, some children from 7 years old already had full time jobs.
They got little pay but they had to work so their families would not starve. Child labour was cheap, sometimes only earning a few pence for working 60 hours a week. The masters of the cotton mill could punish them cruelly if they did anything wrong. Most children barely had free time and didn't get educated at all. The machines didn't have safety guards, which resulted in many children being badly injured or even killed. Children were given boring jobs such as tying yarn threads together when they broke, carrying large objects, scavenging for loose bits of cotton, or cleaning the machinery. They worked from Monday to Saturday starting at six in the morning, an hour for lunch and finishing at 7 in the evening. You were fined if you were late for work.
Older children worked half of the day, then attended school.
In 1833, a new Factory Act stated that children aged 9-13 could only work 9 hours a day and children aged 13-18 could work a maximum of 10½ hours a day.
In 1844, Children aged 8-13 could only work up to 6½ hours a day.
In 1841, 22% of the population worked in the industry of cotton.





Dear Diary,
Master Dudley has beat me again, this time for walking slowly while I was carrying the cotton yarn slivers to my machine area. I cannot help it; I have not been getting good sleep for the last week. My older sister has been teaching me more about the English language after I get home. I try and read the book she has, even when she already falls asleep. My cough is getting worse. Mother says I'm breathing in too much fluff at the mill. Tomorrow I shall wear a scarf to cover my nose.
Two children this month have been injured by the machines, one getting their finger caught and the other tripping and hitting their head. I have been fortunate so far.


Bibliography
http://www.ourwardfamily.com/cotton_trade.htm#Children

No comments:

Post a Comment